Friday, December 13, 2013

Past the Clouds


   I love analogies, and while traveling home from Zambia the other day I came up with one that I'd like to share. We were taking off from the Heathrow, London airport, and it was a rainy day. Everyone showed up to the airport with coats, and wintry clothing (everyone that is except for Sarah and me, having just come from a 100 degree African day - I was in a t-shirt and Sarah in flip flops). It looked like one of those days when it would rain all day, and all you really want to do is put on a sweater, and curl up on your couch with a mug of hot chocolate and your favorite book.

   However, as soon as we took off and went past the first clump of clouds I was very surprised to realize that it was actually a very sunny day - looking up and out was blue skies and a bright warm sun, looking down big, heavy, rain clouds. It just made me think for a couple of seconds about how life is probably often similar to that scene. From below things seem stressful, overwhelming, problems seem huge and sometimes unconquerable...and yet, how often are they like those clouds hanging over London? How often are the sun and the blue sky just one layer of clouds away?

   It got me thinking about some huge transitions that will be taking place in my life over the next few months, and some of the problems and not always sunny skies that I've come back to. It made me think about the times when I will feel that I don't belong in America, or those moments when I look at my nieces and nephews and realize how much of their lives I've been missing. As I'm temporarily moving back in my parents' home for five months, only to re-move out again and move in with my future husband. As I am trying to make the most of my last few months at home, instead of getting bogged down with work, or stressing over the details of a wedding. Hopefully I will remember how quickly that plane flew through those clouds. Hopefully I will remember to look for the Son, the Son of God, who is always shining brightly, no matter how grey the day may feel. Hopefully, I will stay content and peaceful in these transitions, and these big changes in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment